TOP Class AUDITIONS 2O23
On Friday 31 March, an enthusiastic field of 128 players took part in our Centenary Golf Day at Woodlands Golf Club, a renowned sand belt course, well known for its high level of course presentation, raised greens and strategic bunkering.
We were well supported by all our sponsors on the day and our players were treated to fun activities and delicious food as they moved around the course. With such a large field, it was a staggered return to the clubhouse; however, timing didn’t appear to matter as our golfers enjoyed a generous lunch in the company of new and old friends. Many new parents to the School enjoyed the connection and, as always, our Mentonians certainly enjoyed coming together, enjoying their sporting pursuits and plenty of banter along the way.
Congratulations to all the winners on the day and thank you to Principal Mal Cater for presenting the trophies to the winners and acknowledging the support provided by all in attendance at this event. Mal also acknowledged our most senior Mentonian on the day, Mike Flavell (Class of 1960), playing in a team with his son, Troy Flavell (Class of 2018). It was a pleasure to see Mentonians, young and old, together again.
WINNERS ON THE DAY INCLUDED…
MENTONE GRAMMAR PARENTS & FRIENDS GOLF TROPHY
Awarded to the overall champion team on the day. (54.375) Matthew Gude (16), Stephen White (10), Andrew Batty (18) and Troy McGlone (17)
RB JOHNSTONE CUP The RB
Johnstone Cup, named to recognise the 20-year contribution to golf at the School by former teacher Bruce Johnstone. Awarded to the best performing team of Mentonians. (54.5) Mark Roach (18), Ryan Alexander (9) and Chad Twentyman (6)
SPORTING CLUB COMMUNITY CUP
Awarded to the best performing team representing a TMA (The Mentonians Association) Sports Collective – Basketball, Cricket, AFL, Hockey, Soccer: (57) Old Mentonians Cricket Club – Tim Litchfield (18), Anthony Holmes (18), Sven Samild (18) and Leigh Baker (18).
INDIVIDUAL HOLE AWARDS
- NTP 5th Hole (M) – George Osianlis
- NTP 5th Hole (W) – Mel Raymond
- NTP 11th Hole (M) – Tim Litchfield
- NTP 11th Hole (W) – Jenny Fisher
- NTP 13th Hole 2nd Shot (M) – Liam O’Donnell
- NTP 13th Hole 2nd Shot (W) – Jenny Fisher
- LD 6th Hole (M) – Scott Bull
- LD 6th Hole (W) – Andrea Wilson
- LD 15th Hole (M) – Matt Petering
- LD 15th Hole (W) – Jenny Fisher
ORDER OF MERIT
- First Place: (54.375) Matthew Gude (16), Stephen White (10), Andrew Batty (18) and Troy McGlone (17)
- Second Place: (54.5) Mark Roach (18), Ryan Alexander (9) and Chad Twentyman (6)
- Third Place: (54.875) George Osianlis (17), Bruce Watkins (24), Andrea Miriklis (36) and Gary Katakouzinos (36)
- Fourth Place: (56.625) Christopher Rann (22), Marcus Lowe (18), Tom Johnson (25), and Brad Hawkins (18)
- Fifth Place: (57) Tim Litchfield (18), Anthony Holmes (18), Sven Samild (18) and Leigh Baker (18)
AT A GLANCE
- A total of 128 players took part in the event
- A total of 32 groups played in the event
- Nine Eagles were scored across the field
- Hole #2 was eagled the most with five groups securing an Eagle (Par 5) •
- Hole #3 (Par 4), 4 (Par 4), 15 (Par 5) and 18 (Par 5) were also eagled.
- No ‘Holes in One’, but many of the Nearest to the Pin markers were within 1ft
- Best Team Score: 54.375
- Worst Team Score: 98.25
- In all, 27 of 32 groups finished lower than the card after handicap, so the standard was high
A thank you to our Parents & Friends members for their ongoing support of our Annual Golf Day, and thanks again to our generous sponsors for providing the amazing raffle prizes! All contributed to a wonderful and successful day of fun and connection.